- Jonathan Taylor nominated by Democrats for Newark Mayor
- Macedon Town Clerk turns in resignation
- 101 grams of cocaine and a gun he thought was real
- Zornow wins Republican nomination for Newark Mayor
- Why do drug addicts develop skin abrasions?
- Mayoral Race Heating Up In Newark
- Wayne Grad named Commander of Recruiting
- Man allegedly ingests bag of crack cocaine during arrest
- On the beaches of Normandy, from a French child’s eye
- Newark Walmart hit with $1,117 loss in stolen baby formula
Wayne Girls Win Class A2 Title Game
- Updated: February 28, 2014
Friday, February 28
Class A2 Title Game
No. 4 Wayne 61, No. 3 Geneva 59
Junior guard Shyana McLeod tied the game on an 8-foot jump shot with about six seconds left, then stole the inbounds pass and hit an off-balance jumper from the baseline with 0.7 left to give the fourth ranked Eagles (13-8) the win and their first sectional title after a wild finish in the Class A2 championship at Finger Lakes CC. Wayne trailed the whole game and by as many as 13 points in the first half and 12 early in the second. McLeod had 17 points and junior guard Brianna Schmid led Wayne with 21 points, including 13 in the second half. Junior forward Mia Morrison’s 20 points led No. 3 Geneva (14-7), which had beaten its Finger Lakes East rival twice this season.
WAYNE: Brianna Schmid 21, Taylor Corts 5, Bailey Pratt 8, Hannah Mitchell 4, Mary Panepento 2, Morgan Panepento 2, Shyana McLeod 17, Dominique Hamman 2, Alexis Best 0. GENEVA: Erin Guinan 11, Carmen Sapp 3, Becky Smith 3, Mia Morrison 20, Eliza Maher 9, Lauren DeVaney 0, Janee Joyner 13. 3-point goals: Pratt 2, McLeod, Maher. Fouled out: none. All-tournament team: Bailey Pratt (Wayne), Amanda Zaremski (Eastridge), Mia Morrison (Geneva), Janee Joyner (Geneva), Tiara Filbert (Batavia), Taylor Corts (Wayne). MVP: Shyana McLeod (Wayne).