Tuesday, September 26th, 2017

Two charged in Cemetery desecration

It took State Trooper Michael Sarno several months to develop leads, but on Sunday (2/19) the case finally lead to the arrest of two men. On December 23rd, the two men, Corey Kenworthy, age 33, reportedly living above the 104 Store on Route 104 in Red Creek and Justin Abrams, age 18, of Route 370 in Red Creek were charged with Felony Cemetery Desecration in the 1st Degree.

The two men are accused of kicking and pushing over approximately 30 headstones at the Southside Cemetery on South Street in Red Creek. The cemetery, located in front of the Red Creek High School, has some tombstones dating back to the 1800s.

According to police, Kenworthy had recently moved to the Red Creek area from California and was dating Abrams’ mother.

On the night of December 23rd, the two men went to the 104 Store and purchased Four-Loco, a heavily caffeine/alcohol laced drink that has now been pulled from store shelves after being banned by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Before the crackdown, the drink, and its imitators, captured the hearts and livers of a younger generation and was blamed for numerous instances of illnesses and deaths.
After consuming more alcohol, Kenworthy and Abrams went on the cemetery spree after walking down South Street. They also removed the Christmas lights from one residence, that later turned out to be the home of a former, retired State Police Station Commander. For that incident the pair are being charged with one count each of Petit Larceny.

The two men also pulled out two sign posts on Route 104 and threw them into the roadway. Again, luck was not on their side as the SUV that came down the roadway and ran over the signs was a State Police vehicle. Charges of Throwing Dangerous material into a Roadway are expected to be filed.

According to Trooper Sarno, he finally developed leads after talking to one girl who had heard about the incident. That lead to an interview with another girl that lead to the arrests.

Abrams made complete statements and even told police of other incidents other that the cemetery desecration. Kenworthy said he was too intoxicated and blacked out and remembers nothing. A girlfriend of Abrams, who reportedly witnessed some of the incidents, also made statements implicating the two men.
Abrams was released on appearance tickets for Wolcott Town Court for March 1st. Kenworthy was arraigned and remanded to jail on $2000 cash/$4000 bond and will also reappear in Wolcott Court on March 1st.