- Bomb Threat at Garlock Plant
- Three apprehended for armed robberies in Ontario
- Electricity bills double for Walworth Sewer Plant
- North Rose whistle stop a must see
- Local Scout gives report in Washington, DC
- Model trains more than a hobby
- Accidents highlight the dangers of Snowmobiling
- Charter School Plans to Open in Phelps
- One Second, Everything Changes
- Dante Taylor murder trial delayed until this Fall
Roof collapses as contractors pile up stone
- Updated: April 27, 2013
Macedon condemns portion of building, businesses must move
At 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, emergency crews were dispatched. Macedon Engineer/Building Inspector Scott Allen was called to the building at 235 Route 31 in the Town of Macedon.
Contract workers had reportedly piled roofing stone in one spot in order to make repairs to the roof membrane. The weight was apparently too much, and roof joists gave out, collapsing in on the Sleep Cheap store below.
A structural engineer was brought in and the front wall was braced to prevent a wall collapse. The building was condemned on the lower, west side where Sleep Cheap mattress store, Heritage Fireplace and Sunrise Imaging are located. According to Allen, if electrical work and other repairs are completed, the fireplace shop and print shop may be able to open next week. “I see a lot of insurance adjusters shaking their heads,” said Allen. The building is owned by Frank Vella Jr., who has a store on the east side of the building.