- Wayne County to conduct Aerial Spraying for EEE
- FLCC marks Banned Books Week
- Residents enjoy Camping at “Camp DeMay”
- Police seek leads in Dollar General Robbery
- Walworth parents charged – children living in squalor
- Red Creek man breaks in Church
- Train Traveler charged in Wallet Theft
- Rehearsals for Play Begin at Newark High School
- Mom charged with Endangering, driving without child restraint
- Sculptor Albert Paley visit FLCC for forum
Roof collapses as contractors pile up stone
- Updated: April 27, 2013
Macedon condemns portion of building, businesses must move
At 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, emergency crews were dispatched. Macedon Engineer/Building Inspector Scott Allen was called to the building at 235 Route 31 in the Town of Macedon.
Contract workers had reportedly piled roofing stone in one spot in order to make repairs to the roof membrane. The weight was apparently too much, and roof joists gave out, collapsing in on the Sleep Cheap store below.
A structural engineer was brought in and the front wall was braced to prevent a wall collapse. The building was condemned on the lower, west side where Sleep Cheap mattress store, Heritage Fireplace and Sunrise Imaging are located. According to Allen, if electrical work and other repairs are completed, the fireplace shop and print shop may be able to open next week. “I see a lot of insurance adjusters shaking their heads,” said Allen. The building is owned by Frank Vella Jr., who has a store on the east side of the building.