- Missing person case ends in tragedy
- Macedon Village Ambulance problems to lead to demise?
- Body of missing Macedon man found
- Huron man reportedly milking the system
- Power outages, damage hit County hard during Tuesday’s storms
- Wife of double murder suspect jailed
- It took a community to raise the flagpole
- Local teacher selected Special Olympics Umpire
- Resignation of Wayne Superintendent Accepted
- Father charged after baby hospitalized with severe burns
Off-Duty Trooper severely injured by DWI driver in Walworth
- Updated: November 5, 2011
According to police, a westbound vehicle operated by Bruce Weidman, age 55, of 4381 Cream Ridge Road in Walworth made a turn in front of an eastbound vehicle operated by Derek Plaisted, age 38, an off-duty state trooper on his way home. A third westbound vehicle was grazed by Plaisted’s vehicle as it spun around.
Both Weidman and Plaisted were transported to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester. Weidman was treated and released and blood was drawn to determine his blood alcohol level. Weidman is facing a pending Driving While Intoxicated charge. Weidman suffered a head laceration, was treated and released.
Trooper Plaisted, who was trapped in his vehicle for about a half hour suffered internal injuries. He underwent a four hour surgery on Tuesday to put screws and plates in his leg after suffering a broken femur in what was described as a “violent accident.” on Wednesday afternoon Plaisted was reported to be in recovery and was expected to be released from the hospital this weekend.
Assisting at the scene were the Walworth Fire and Ambulance and the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office.