- Wayne County to conduct Aerial Spraying for EEE
- FLCC marks Banned Books Week
- Residents enjoy Camping at “Camp DeMay”
- Police seek leads in Dollar General Robbery
- Walworth parents charged – children living in squalor
- Red Creek man breaks in Church
- Train Traveler charged in Wallet Theft
- Rehearsals for Play Begin at Newark High School
- Mom charged with Endangering, driving without child restraint
- Sculptor Albert Paley visit FLCC for forum
Off-Duty Trooper severely injured by DWI driver in Walworth
- Updated: November 5, 2011
According to police, a westbound vehicle operated by Bruce Weidman, age 55, of 4381 Cream Ridge Road in Walworth made a turn in front of an eastbound vehicle operated by Derek Plaisted, age 38, an off-duty state trooper on his way home. A third westbound vehicle was grazed by Plaisted’s vehicle as it spun around.
Both Weidman and Plaisted were transported to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester. Weidman was treated and released and blood was drawn to determine his blood alcohol level. Weidman is facing a pending Driving While Intoxicated charge. Weidman suffered a head laceration, was treated and released.
Trooper Plaisted, who was trapped in his vehicle for about a half hour suffered internal injuries. He underwent a four hour surgery on Tuesday to put screws and plates in his leg after suffering a broken femur in what was described as a “violent accident.” on Wednesday afternoon Plaisted was reported to be in recovery and was expected to be released from the hospital this weekend.
Assisting at the scene were the Walworth Fire and Ambulance and the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office.