- Fatal accident in Wolcott
- Crumbling historic Academy Building in Walworth demolished
- Palmyra Police Chief forced out
- Dr. accused of gun sign theft has case moved
- Town Justice suing the Town of Ontario
- Early morning Fire at Garden Center
- Car theft leads to high speed chase down Route 31
- Voters reaffirm Dissolution of Lyons Village – Now What?
- Lyons votes 474 to 309 for Dissolution
- Two nabbed distributing Indian reservation cigarettes
No Injuries in Fire at Doug Kent’s Rose Bowl Lanes
- Updated: October 3, 2013
The Newark Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched by the Wayne County 911 Center on Monday September 30 at 5:24 PM after they received numerous calls for a fire on the roof with smoke and flame showing from Doug Kent’s Rose Bowl Lanes. The large bowling alley is located at the intersection of West Miller and Finch Street. First on the scene was Newark Fire Chief Dave Greco who directed 30 firefighters, with the first truck on the scene within six minutes according to Public Information Officer Dick Colacino. Chief Greco credits his firefighters fast response with confining the fire to an area above the restaurant. The Chief reported that the fire appears to have started in the kitchen hood ductwork and ignited roofing before the fire was extinguished. Chief Greco reported that no injuries were reported and the business should be able to remain open. The kitchen area will have to be inspected by the New York State Health Department before it opens. The Newark Police Department, Newark/Arcadia Ambulance and Newark Code Enforcement Officer David Carr also responded to the alarm. Firefighters were back at their station at 6:25PM.
Later Monday evening Newark Volunteer firefighters again were dispatched by the Wayne County 911 Center to a working dumpster fire behind 1114 South Main Street. The facility is being remodeled into a new dialysis center. According to Newark Fire Chief Greco the fire was extinguished within 15 minutes with the dumpster positioned very close to the building. Minor damage occurred on the main building and the fire is being investigated by authorities. No injuries were reported.