- Missing person case ends in tragedy
- Macedon Village Ambulance problems to lead to demise?
- Body of missing Macedon man found
- Huron man reportedly milking the system
- Power outages, damage hit County hard during Tuesday’s storms
- Wife of double murder suspect jailed
- It took a community to raise the flagpole
- Local teacher selected Special Olympics Umpire
- Resignation of Wayne Superintendent Accepted
- Father charged after baby hospitalized with severe burns
Maxey found guilty on all counts in Predatory Rape case
- Updated: June 23, 2013
On Friday afternoon, a Wayne County jury found Joseph C. Maxey, of Oswego Street in Wolcott, guilty on all counts in a week long Wayne County trial.
The case against Maxey stemmed from a several month investigation last year and his arrest in October, where Maxey was charged with one count of Predatory Sexual Assault against a Child, a class A-II, Felony, and Rape 2nd, a class D-Felony.
It was alleged that Maxey engaged in acts of sexual intercourse and oral sexual contact with female children ages twelve and fourteen.
The girls are now ages 19 and 17. These acts commenced in 2007 and continued for years. All of the abuse occurred in the Clyde area.
A third girl also came forward with allegations that he had begun to sexually abuse her as well. All three girls testified in the case. It was also learned that one of the girls became pregnant as a result of the rape and has since had a child, who is now about 1-1/2 years old.
“This was one of the worst cases I have handled in 30 years,” said Wayne County District Attorney Rick Healy.
“Maxey sexually assaulted one girl beginning at the age of 12 and repeatedly abused her and the 14 year old for years.
The jury, which took only hours to decide, handed down guilty verdicts on one count of Predatory Sexual Assault on a Child, two counts of Rape in the 2nd degree, six counts of Rape in the 3rd degree and two counts of Endangering the Welfare of a Child.
According to the District Attorney, sentencing will be held on July 11th, and the maximum sentence will be sought of 45 years to life, due to consecutive sentences, and the fact that there were multiple victims.
“This is a big victory,” said Healy, “Justice has been served.”