Sunday, September 24th, 2017

Last of the Wendy’s attackers brought back from Texas

The Village of Newark Police Depart­ment reported the return of 20 year old Julian J. Coo­per on Monday (1/31) . The arrest is the last, following a gang as­sault back on April 7, 2010 at the Wen­dy’s Res­taurant in Newark. The inci­dent was caught on the store video security camera . At ap­proxi­mately 2:00 p.m., the vic­tim was waiting in line at Wendy’s when he was sur­prised and assaulted by three men who repeatedly punched and kicked him as he fell to the floor. The victim was transported by ambulance to Newark Wayne Com­munity Hospital where he was treated for a possible concussion, lacerations and contusions about the head.

Cooperation of stunned employees and patrons, along with video surveil­lance cameras led to the identity of the perpetrators who knew the victim and had been searching for him throughout the day.

Cooper was a participant in a Gang Assault at the Wendy’s Restaurant on April 7, 2010 and has been at large since that date. He was want­ed on two felony warrants for Gang Assault 2nd and Assault 2nd.

Those who par­ticipated with him in the as­sault and previous­ly arrest­ed are: James W. Stone, Kory M. Wright , Michael E. Block and Jack­ie Cruz.

Coo­per , Wright and Stone were the main par­ticipants in the attack of a man waiting in line at the restaurant. On April 22nd, Kory Wright turned himself in to police. He pled guilty to the charges on August 26th and was sentenced to three years in State Prison.

After receiving some leads in the case, police surrounded the trailer home at 3841 Trolley Road, Lot 35 in Palmyra on September 24. James W. Stone II, age 25 was reportedly living in the trailer. He was taken into custody and charged with Gang Assault in the 2nd Degree and As­sault in the 2nd Degree. He was arraigned in Newark Village Court and remanded to jail on $50,000 cash/$100,000 bond. Stone was also processed on an addition­al warrant for Possession of Marijuana in the 4th Degree stemming from a failure to finish a pre-trail release. He was ar­raigned on that charge and remanded on an additional $5000 cash/$10,000 bond. Stone’s case is still pending.

Block pled guilty to Criminal Facilita­tion and sentence to 45 days in the Wayne County Jail. He did not take part in the actual attack, but knew of the attack and was the driver. Another teen, Jackie N. Cruz, age 18, also plead to Criminal Fa­cilitation4th.Information on Cooper’s whereabouts was obtained by Newark Police Officer Dan Weegar. Cooper was then taken into custody without incident by the Bell County Sheriffs Office in Belton, Texas. The Wayne County District Attorney’s Office coordinated the extradition of Cooper who was initially remanded to the Wayne County Jail. He was arraigned on Tuesday before County Court Judge Daniel Barrett and remanded back to jail on No Bail, pending his next court ap­pearance on February 10th.