- Dairy farm fire in Walworth
- Cruelty Investigators seize 16 horses, other animals at Sodus property
- Fatal accident in Wolcott
- Crumbling historic Academy Building in Walworth demolished
- Palmyra Police Chief forced out
- Dr. accused of gun sign theft has case moved
- Town Justice suing the Town of Ontario
- Early morning Fire at Garden Center
- Car theft leads to high speed chase down Route 31
- Voters reaffirm Dissolution of Lyons Village – Now What?
Investigation into the distribution and growing of marijuana leads to arrest in Newark
- Updated: August 11, 2011
Members of the Village of Newark Police Department conducted a search warrant at the residence of 130 Williams Street, in Newark on Wednesday (8/3).
Subsequently, Loran D. Hotel Jr., age 47, of 130 Williams Street was arrested on Monday (8/8) for Unlawfully Growing Cannabis Class A Misdemeanor and Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the fourth degree a Class A Misdemeanor.
According to Newark Chief Daid Christler, police found two plants at the residence, but a quantity of growing equipment and growing logs which Hotel kept.
Records show Hotel is a convicted felon with an Assault in the 2nd Degree charge in 1989 and Felony DWI arrests, therefore cannot possess any weapons. Police found a shotgun and .22 rifle in his possession at the time of the arrest.
Hotel was arraigned by the Honorable William Schusler and released on his own recognizance to return to the Village of Newark Court on August 17th, 2011.
The arrest was the culmination of information gathered by the police investigation and no more arrests are expected. According to sources, Hotel makes a living off rental properties in Newark. He resides at the Williams Street home with his wife and children.