- State approves a lottery where there are no losers!
- Lyons man heads to State Prison for haunting victim
- Farm Tour features Agriculture in Transition
- Apples, Apples, Apples
- Tony Stewart will not face charges in deadly crash
- Technology helps nail Dante Taylor for Murder
- Wayne County to conduct Aerial Spraying for EEE
- FLCC marks Banned Books Week
- Residents enjoy Camping at “Camp DeMay”
- Police seek leads in Dollar General Robbery
Former Wayne County man arrested for two counts of Rape in the 1st Degree
- Updated: June 25, 2011
The Wayne County Sheriff’s Office reported the arrest on Thursday of Michael F. Murray, age 38, giving a current address in Troy, New York for two counts of Rape in the 1st Degree.
It is alleged that between 2005-2006 Murray sexually abused with two girls, ages 8-9 at the time of the offenses. He reportedly raped and sodomized the two young girls while living in the Town of Huron.
The incidents reportedly came to light after the two sisters heard descriptions of sexual crimes while attending health classes at school. “They thought this was something that just happened,” said the girls’ mother. “I was the last to know about it,” she added. The two girls, now age 14, are undergoing counseling and medical tests are pending.
According to the mother, Michael Murray was a heavy drinker with several DWI convictions and reportedly has mental health issues. He was arraigned in Huron Town Court and bail was set at $50,000 cash/$100,000 bond. Murray’s father, Richard Murray immediately posted bail for his son and he was released from jail. He is scheduled to reappear in Huron Town Court for a preliminary hearing on July 25th.
Wayne County District Attorney Rick Healy said the case will be presented for Grand Jury action.
The girls’ mother describes her daughters as “honor students, good, quiet kids involved in sports”. “This has been a heartbreaking ordeal for all involved” said the mother.