- State approves a lottery where there are no losers!
- Lyons man heads to State Prison for haunting victim
- Farm Tour features Agriculture in Transition
- Apples, Apples, Apples
- Tony Stewart will not face charges in deadly crash
- Technology helps nail Dante Taylor for Murder
- Wayne County to conduct Aerial Spraying for EEE
- FLCC marks Banned Books Week
- Residents enjoy Camping at “Camp DeMay”
- Police seek leads in Dollar General Robbery
Father charged after “shaken baby” incidents
- Updated: January 26, 2013
On Wednesday (1/23), State Police in Lyons arrested Wayne J. Colbert, age 21, of 47 John Street in Clyde, for two counts of Assault in the second degree and two counts of Endangering the Welfare of a Child. Colbert caused injury to a 12 week-old infant boy by shaking him on two different occasions in November and December of 2012.
The early morning December 13th incident came to light after Colbert told police he could not deal with the baby’s crying, picked the child up and began violently shaking the child. The baby reportedly had an “adverse” reaction and became ill. Colbert then reportedly woke his girlfriend, the baby’s mother, and an ambulance was called. The baby boy was taken to Newark-Wayne Hospital, then transferred to Strong Hospital with bleeding retinas and a brain injury.
The infant was treated at Strong Memorial Hospital for the internal head injuries and required surgery to alleviate swelling in the brain. Doctors also found medical evidence of prior child abuse.
Colbert, who is unemployed, admitted to police what he had done, was arraigned in the Town of Galen Court in front of Town Justice Lester Carr and committed to the Wayne County Jail in lieu of $20,000 bail. He is scheduled to return to the Town of Galen Court on 02/27/13. The baby boy and his 1 1/2 year-old sister were placed in their grandmother’s custody. Police believe the mother was unaware of the child abuse.