- Larcenies of ATVs solved
- Macedon Town Clerk turns in resignation
- 101 grams of cocaine and a gun he thought was real
- Zornow wins Republican nomination for Newark Mayor
- Why do drug addicts develop skin abrasions?
- Mayoral Race Heating Up In Newark
- Wayne Grad named Commander of Recruiting
- Man allegedly ingests bag of crack cocaine during arrest
- On the beaches of Normandy, from a French child’s eye
- Newark Walmart hit with $1,117 loss in stolen baby formula
Elks Honor Life Savers
- Updated: August 30, 2012
At a recent ceremony, Lyons Elks Lodge #869 together with Wayne County Sheriff Barry Virts recognized three local police officers for their life saving actions. Earlier this year a Town of Galen homeowner, Kelly Vergilia, found herself trapped on the second floor of her home due to a fire in the residence. Police officer David Demchuk together with Sergeant Aaron Disanto and Investigator Mark Loveless of the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department immediately responded to the residence. Upon arrival, the officers found the homeowner had retreated to the roof of her home. Shortly after the rescue, Ms. Vergilia was taken to Newark Wayne Hospital by ambulance for minor injuries and smoke inhalation; she was home alone at the time of the fire. Several of her pets, however, died in the fire. It was later determined that the fire was accidental in origin due to a malfunctioning appliance. The home was determined to be a total loss.
Lyons Elks Leader Emily Wunder together with Sheriff Virts presented each of the officers with a plague recognizing their professionalism and service to duty in assisting and saving the homeowner from serious injury.