Tuesday, January 17th, 2017

Dante Taylor murder trial delayed until this Fall

Regardless of his family and friends’ beliefs, the case against accused double homicide defendant Dante Taylor has considerable circumstantial evidence piling up.

It all began when State Police responded to a home at the corner of Route 14 and Champlin Road in Sodus after 9-1-1 received a call around 4 p.m. on Sunday (7/14/14).

According to sources, a mother, Terri Moulton, age 54 and her daughter Stacey Moulton, age 30, had agreed to check on and feed a neighbor’s, (Shawn Yager) cat while the Sodus man was vacationing in Aruba.

The two women went to the home at about 1 p.m. and, when they failed to return, Terri  Moulton’s husband became concerned and went to the home to check on them at about 4 p.m. He reportedly discovered the bodies of the two women, who had been stabbed to death, lying near a dining room table. Small fires had been started in the residence allegedly in an attempt to hide the double murders. The fires were quickly extinguished. Police suspected that the two women had interrupted a home burglary. A canvass of the neighborhood provided a composite sketch of a black man seen on the property. Police also began looking for a dark blue mid-size SUV, possibly a Mercury Mountaineer seen parked in the area.

Following leads, Police took Dante Taylor, age 33, of Rochester into custody on Thursday on a parole violation. According to sources, Taylor was in possession of “contraband”. He was remanded to the Monroe County Jail on No Bail.

Police indicated Taylor has an extensive police history. He has been in State Prison two different times, the latest for Attempted Robbery in the 1st Degree, where he was sentenced to eight years.

“Let everybody know I’m innocent… tell my family, my kids,” Taylor said, surrounded by state troopers as he was walked into court for his arraignment.

A grand jury indicted Taylor on eight counts, including four counts of first degree murder.

“The victims were found almost on top of each other. They had been stabbed, and I guess there’s evidence from the medical examiner that they probably died instantly from their wounds,” D.A. Rick Healy said.

Taylor is also charged with burglary and arson, as he allegedly set a number of fires in the house in order to cover up evidence. He has been held without bail  at the Monroe County Jail on a parole violation.

Healy said this is a case with circumstantial evidence. DNA collected at the scene is currently being analyzed at the State Police lab. Two court orders had to be issued as Taylor fought giving a DNA sample. That sample has been obtained and sent to the State Police laboratories for comparisons. “We have quite a bit of circumstantial evidence including forensics and technological, including  an eye witness,” said Healy

Delaying the case even further, as Taylor was being led out of a Court hearing on February 4th, he spit at James Kernan, the Wayne County Public Defender representing him. Taylor demanded a new lawyer and Kernan, in papers filed with the Court, agreed The Court is expected to name an outside legal counsel to represent Taylor this coming week.

Healy said the trial has tentatively been set for September 12th