- On the beaches of Normandy, from a French child’s eye
- Newark Walmart hit with $1,117 loss in stolen baby formula
- Missing person case ends in tragedy
- Macedon Village Ambulance problems to lead to demise?
- Body of missing Macedon man found
- Huron man reportedly milking the system
- Power outages, damage hit County hard during Tuesday’s storms
- Wife of double murder suspect jailed
- It took a community to raise the flagpole
- Local teacher selected Special Olympics Umpire
One person rescued as major fire erupts in Village of Palmyra
- Updated: May 3, 2013
Fire Departments from surrounding towns responded to a serious building fire at 236 East Main Street in downtown Palmyra at about 2:45 p.m. on Friday (5/3).
Flames were seen shooting out of the upstairs apartment where rescuers pulled one individual out of the building.
The Wayne County Command Center and Cascade Truck was activated as fire departments from Palmyra, Macedon, Macedon Center, Newark, Port Gibson, Marion, Lyons and Williamson were called to the scene, with other departments called in as back-ups. Red Cross volunteer crews arrived on scene. Nine people were displaced as a result of the blaze; the Red Cross is providing the families with food, clothing, emergency housing, and other basic needs as necessary.
By 4 p.m. the fire encompassed the entire block and the calls went out for more manpower, including four Ontario County Departments and Fairport Fire from Monroe County.
The fire encompassed #236, owned by Donald Seconi, #238, owned by Frank Graham, #240 owned by Palmyra Properties, LLC and #240-1/2 to #248, owned by 244 East Main Street Holdings. It then spread to the adjoining Mark’s Pizzeria building. The roof collapsed on two of the buildings as firefighters not only battled the fire, but, at times, the water pressure. A call to the Wayne County Water Authority was made as they attempted to increase pressure for the area.
By 6 p.m. firefighters had fought the blaze to a standstill and were expected to be on the scene for some time. By 7:15 p.m. firefighters announced the fire under control and were on standby knocking down hot spots.
One person was rescued from the fire and taken to the hospital. Additionally, three firefighters had to be treated for dehydration and heat exhaustion.
The fire is believed to have started in the top apartment at 236 East Main Street. Police interviewed one of the occupants where the fire originated. “Do we know who did it, yes. Do we know why, yes,” said Palmyra Chief Dave Dalton. Further details will be released at the end of the investigation by the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office, who along with the Macedon Police responded to the scene.
The buildings were a total loss and the businesses affected were Mark’s Pizza, Goldy’s Goodies, Spark of Divinity Congregation Church, the Thrift Shoppe and Flea Market. The buildings and adjoining businesses also suffered damage.
Dalton confirmed that two cats were rescued from the buildings, one needing oxygen at the scene.