- Two Macedon Trustees call for Village dissolution
- World Series of “Beep Baseball” comes to Rochester
- WayneNet nails mushroom seller
- Completion of Erie Canalway Trail in Arcadia
- Gananda proposes Capital Project
- Twin Docs follow in each other’s footsteps
- Gananda student faces felony charge after terroristic threats
- Newark Police receive new K-9
- Sodus Chamber Mural under way
- So, you want to be a Sportscaster…
Lyons Board of Education Nov. 12, 2013
- Updated: November 30, 2013
A regular meeting of the Board of Education was held on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at the Lyons Middle/High Library, 10 Clyde Road, Lyons, New York.
Mrs. Kelly Wetmore, Special Education Teacher and Eric Lewis, Elementary School Teacher shared an article that was in the Finger Lakes Times with the Board of Education about the fifth grade students learning about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and their fundraising efforts for the children in Syria.
The Board of Education
• accepted a letter from Mrs. Lauren Szklany of Williamson requesting a leave of absence to begin on or about February 24, 2014 and end on or about April 30, 2014. She also wishes to request a child rearing leave on or about May 1, 2014 and end June 30, 2014.
• accepted a request from Mrs. Heather Costello of Sodus Point for a long-term leave of absence for the remainder of the 2013-2014 school year effective November 18, 2013.
• approved the appointment of Mr. Tom Mancine of Sodus as a 1.0 FTE Temporary Music K-12 Music Teacher effective November 13, 2013 – June 30, 2014.
• approved the appointment of Mr. Patrick Tyler of Lyons as a 0.6 FTE Temporary Music Teacher effective November 13, 2013 – June 30, 2014.
• approved the following coaching assignments, pending certification, for the 2013-2014 Winter Sports Season:
Boys’ Basketball Volunteer Coach Zac Bliek
Boys’ Basketball Volunteer Coach Calvin Betts
Wrestling Volunteer Coach Tim Fitzgerald
Girls Basketball Volunteer Coach Randolph Scott
Indoor Track Volunteer Coach Steve Leo
• approved Ms. Kendra MacClurgof Newark as a substitute teacher, assistant, monitor or aide for grades K-6, security clearance documentation has been received. (Not Certified).
• approved Ms. Megan Webster of Phelps as a substitute teacher, assistant, monitor or aide for grades 7-12, security clearance documentation has been received. (Certified – Initial-Childhood Education Grades 1-6).
• approved the appointment of Ms. Megan Webster of Phelps as an RTTT part-time aide effective November 13, 2013 – June 30, 2014. Security clearance documentation has been received.
• approved Ms. Theresa Anselmo of Lyons New York as a substitute assistant, monitor or aides for grades K-6, pending receipt of security clearance documentation. (Not Certified).
• Based upon receipt of security clearance documentation, approve the continuation of the employment of the following:
Ms. Karen Ohlrich of Lyons as a substitute teacher, assistant, monitor or aide K-6; Ms. Maureen McGory of Clifton Springs, as a substitute teacher, assistant, monitor or aide K-6; Ms. Meredith Henry of Lyons as a substitute teacher, assistant, monitor or aide K-6; and Ms. Mary Gardner of Lyons as a substitute bus monitor.
• approvef SEI Design Group, 224 Mill Street, Rochester, New York 14614 as the district architect.
Board members signed unpaid school taxes to be sent to Wayne, Seneca and Ontario Counties.
Mike Pangallo, Assistant Superintendent for Business and Denise Dzikowski, Superintendent attended the Town Finance Sub-Committee meeting held on Tuesday, November 12, 2013. They heard a presentation from the Ontario Town Supervisor on the impact of taking back sales tax revenue from schools. Steve Groat, the Town Supervisor from Galen asked the Superintendents to put together their presentation so that the Supervisors can hear how losing sales tax dollars would impact schools so they can hear both sides of the issues. A special meeting will be set-up to discuss this issue.
Mr. Steve Veeder, Athletic Director/Transportation Administrator shared with the Board of Education and update on the Athletic Hall of Fame. Mr. Veeder recognized all the members of the Athletic Hall of Fame Committee and those people that made significant contributions to the Hall of Fame. He also explained the process an athlete must go through to be elected to the Hall of Fame and cumulating to the Hall of Fame Banquet to honor the athletes/teams/coaches/contributors.
Mr. Veeder also showed a video to the Board of Education of his recent trip to Georgia where he toured the Blue Bird Bus plant.
Mr. Vince Beltrone, Food Service Manager updated the Board of Education on the status of the breakfast program at the Elementary School. He reported that there were problems feeding all the students in the morning and Mr. Beltrone met with administration and they changed their routine in the morning and things seem to have gotten better. There seems to be more time for students to eat their breakfast in the morning.
There was a question about why the district does not offer a backpack lunch program. This program needs to be sponsored by an outside not-for-profit agency. This program cost approximately $120 per student per year.
Another question was asked regarding the no charge policy. Mr. Beltrone responded that it is going well and he has reached out to Mrs. Munson and Mr. Roscup for help in getting students the help they need.
Mr. Kise, Middle/High School Principal shared with the Board of Education the Introduction video of Chris Herren. Mr. Herren will be in-district Wednesday evening (11/13/2013) for a Community Presentation and will speak with students in grades 8-12 on Thursday (11/14/2013) about the dangers of substance abuse.
Mrs. Hope Alexanian, Vice-President recommended that the Board of Education go into Executive Session to discuss the medical, financial, credit or employment history of a particular person or corporation or matters leading to the appointment, employment, promotion, demotion, discipline, suspension, dismissal, or removal of a particular person or corporation.
The board approved Zac Bliek as a Boys’ Basketball Volunteer Coach for the 2013-2014 Winter Sports Season, pending certification; Calvin Betts as a Boys’ Basketball Volunteer Coach for the 2013-2014 Winter Sports Season, pending certification; Tim Fitzgerald as a Wrestling Volunteer Coach for the 2013-2014 Winter Sports Season, pending certification; Randolph Scott as a Girls’ Basketball Volunteer Coach for the 2013-2014 Winter Sports Season, pending certification. and Steve Leo as an Indoor Track Volunteer Coach for the 2013-2014 Winter Sports Season, pending certification.
The next meeting scheduled for November 26 was discussed. Because of the Thanksgiving holiday, this meeting will be cancelled. The next meeting will be December 10, 2013.