Williamson School Board – December 12, 2012
President Michael Collins opened the December 12, 2012 meeting of the Williamson Central School District Board of Education with the Pledge of Allegiance. Under Reports from District Administrators, Wanda Miller reported that she has been working with student aides on initiatives to promote student independence and she highlighted Donna Gobeyn, Kara Steinmetz and Hannah Hyman for their efforts. Amy Busby thanked the elementary school staff for their flexibility in adjusting to the recent influx of new students. She also reported that the first round of teacher observations is nearly complete. Andrew Wahl reported that the high school students took part in the college readiness exams that are done in conjunction with FLCC. He thanked Deanne Ginett, Ingrid Wander and Dusty Shove for their assistance with test modifications. He also highlighted the production of “Little Shop of Horrors” and complimented Jessica Warchocki, performers and crew for an amazing show. Doug Lauf stated that the students were fantastic on the senior trip. Gary Barno reported that a bond is eligible to be refinanced which will save the district a significant amount of money. Wendy Havens commented on her classroom observations in the elementary school that are incorporating the new common core standards in Math and ELA. While it is a different style of teaching for some, the teachers are reporting that they are seeing students writing at a higher level and demonstrating higher problem solving skills. Superintendent Ehresman reported that she has met with members of the Building Planning Teams where they discussed the importance of mindset in approaching change. The information will be shared district wide during a future superintendent conference day. She has also met with the administrators and PPS staff to establish goals for the year.
Board Committee Reports included updates on Report Card Night, Policy Committee, National Honor Society Induction Ceremony, PTSA meeting and the Elementary Holiday Concert. This was followed by a presentation by the Robotics Club. Advisor David Cocquyt and students Alex DeMay, Alex Monachino and Ariana Allman presented a video with highlights of their recent competition at Clarkson University where they competed against 37 other teams and won first place. They spoke about how much they learned from the competition and their plans to improve the robot for future competitions. They explained the competition process and how they hope to attend another competition this year. One goal is to create a match at the high school where they can scrimmage with other local high schools.
Assistant Superintendent for Instruction Wendy Havens reviewed the Quarterly Achievement Report and School Business Administrator Gary Barno reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. Several CSE cases were approved.
With the approval of the Consent Agenda, several substitutes were approved along with the following:
• Resignation of Lisa Marie John, part-time bus monitor, effective December 20, 2012
• Appointment of Supervisors for the Winter sports season
• Appointment of Christina Sharp as a Teacher Mentor for the remainder of the 2012-2013 school year
Under New Business, the Board approved the first readings of Policy 1330 – Appointments by the Board of Education, Policy 8506 – District wide and Statewide Assessments in School District Programs (NEW), Policy 8520 – Committee on Special Education/Committee on Preschool Special Education, Policy 8560 – Impartial Hearing and further approved the following items:
• The 2012-13 Budget Calendar (for 2013-14 budget)
• An agreement with Sodus Central School District for a Varsity Bowling Team of One for the 2012-2013 School Year
• The appointment of Brenda Gowan as Wellness Coordinator
• Resolution for Athletic Selection/Classification Program
• The Williamson Central School District Single Audit Report for the Year Ended June 30, 2012
• Awarded the electrical contractor for the booster pump repair to Billitier Electric and the mechanical contractor to Pipitone Enterprise, LLC
• An unpaid leave of absence for Barbara Azzano, student aide
• An unpaid leave of absence for Joanna Alexander, Teaching Assistant.