Wayne County Board of Supervisors – January 15, 2013
At the regular meeting of the Wayne County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday, Sheriff Barry Virts began with a proclamation of appreciation for her many years of service, to retiring Correction Officer Julie VanLeeuwen.
A presentation by Wayne County Nursing Home Administrator Marjorie Haroff was given to the Board on the Home’s Financial Analysis and cost efficiencies implemented at the Facility…(see story page 1 of this issue).
A Proclamation was made honoring Black History Month in February in Wayne County.
In other business before the Board, authorization was given to:
- Enter into an Indemnification Agreement with the Town of Arcadia, over remediation of property being foreclosed at 1303 North Main Street, owned by Frederick Parkison and Douglas Parkison.
- Requested that State Legislators be prepare a municipal Home Rule Statue to extend the additional 1% sales tax from December 1, 2013 to November 30, 2015.
- Declared as Type II Action for SEQR on ESCO Project, and engage Trane US Inc as a party to an energy performance contract to assist the county in capital improvements
- Amended budget to provide funding not included in Bond authorization for capital improvements for County Buildings with a 20 year guaranteed return on investment
- Authorized the undertaking of certain energy-efficiency related Capital Improvements to Designated County Facilities. This would be for a maximum estimated cost of $8,004,337. To authorize the issuing of $7,765,000 in serial bonds to finance the appropriation. County Administration Jim Marquette also discussed that the bond monies would be pooled with other municipalities for investment and the resulting interest would be given back to the County to be used towards repayment of the bonds. “There are a lot of positives in this,” said Marquette. “They are basically paying us to borrow,” surmised Supervisor Plant at the discussion and explanation of the plan. “It appears to be coming from Federal money left over from the stimulus Funds,” explained Marquette.
- Authorized the State Municipal Rule legislation to impose a hotel or motel tax (or seasonal rental occupancy tax) for the County of Wayne. Supervisor Spickerman asked that if the State Legislators approve Wayne County to charge this tax, will the money so back in to reduce property taxes? Supervisor Hammond explained that the money would go into the general fund and probably be used by Wayne County Tourism to promote Wayne County and bring in further revenue.
- Accepted a Stop DWI Crackdown Program Grant of $8,640 and amend the budget to reflect the revenue.
- Accepted grant for Buffer Zone Protection Plan from Department of Homeland Protection in the amount of $194,000 and amended budget to reflect the revenue.
- authorized nominations for the Wayne County EMS Advisory Board (Ken Grass of Arcadia, Richard Moyer of Galen, Charles King of Huron, Paul Fera of Lyons, Paul Harkness of Macedon, Linda Lee of Marion, Dave Burns of Ontario, John Rush of Palmyra, Henry Dunphy of rose, James Younglove of Savannah, Eldred J. Schell of Sodus, Jack Leasure of Walworth, Suzan Ray of Williamson and Alia Lockwood of Wolcott.
- Accepted NYS Small Cities Community Development Block Grant of $300,000 to partially fund the installation of an elevator at 9 Pearl Street.
- Authorized appropriation of County Road fund monies
- Solicited quotes for Equipment for Public Works Department
- Accepted Low bid for Tree Removal Service for Public Works Department. Bid went to Crane’s Tree Service of Wolcott for Lump Sum of $9,600.00 or $125/per hour for regular or emergency tree removal
- Accepted Low bid for Tree Stumping from Q’s Lawn and Landscape for Lump Sum of $7,745 or $100 per hour.
- Rejected all bids for Portable Screening Plant for Public Works.
- Reappointed members of the Agricultural Development Board: Colleen Roof of Newark, and Arthur Crandon of Lyons.
- Appointed Ora Rothfuss at Fair Housing Officer for Wayne County
- Authorized agreement with Ontario County for use of Non-Secure Detention Facility in Hopewell
- Reappointed Youth Board Members: Deborah Derue of Williamson, Michael Crespo of Newark, Rebecca Gamba of Lyons, Ed Hunt of Lyons, Michael Muscolino of Newark and Pam Philips off Newark.
- Appointed Eugene VanDeusen of Red Creek to the Regional Wildlife Management Board.
The next meeting of the Wayne County Board of Supervisors will be Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 9:00. This is a change to allow some Supervisors to attend the State Association of Towns Training Session in New York City.