Town of Marion – February 11, 2013
Town of Marion Supervisor, Mrs. Jody Bender called to order a Town Board meeting at 7:00 PM. No public comments were offered .
Supervisor Bender reported that the Town Clerk’s Office has been keeping very busy collecting taxes and processing water bills. She also reported that the paperwork for the final 3 proposed water districts is being completed and that she will be meeting with a DOS representative regarding the sewer project soon. Additionally she noted that the town needs a full audit, and additionally scheduled the annual audit of the town books during the next Town Board Workshop meeting on Monday, March 4th, at 7:00 PM. Lastly, Supervisor Bender shared that several Passport Clinics will be held in Wayne County in the coming months, and she urged Wayne County residents take full advantage of the clinics, as the majority of monies brought in stay in Wayne County. Upcoming dates are as follows: Wednesday, March 20th in the Walworth Town Hall from 6:00-7:30 PM; Wednesday, May 22nd in the Williamson Town Hall from 6:00-7:30 PM; Thursday, August 22nd in the Butler Town Hall frm 6:00-7:30; and Wednesday, October 30th in the Ontario Town Hall from 6:00-7:30 PM.
Councilman Bliek reported that a water line on Route #441, between the Pump Station and Route 21 needs replacing. The line is approximately 1,600 feet, with an 8 inch diameter. Currently the town owns the line, and the Water Authority has given the town the option to purchase the new replacement line, in order to keep the asset and own the infrastructure. The approximate cost of the replacement line is $10,000.00. The board agreed to make a decision in the near future.
Councilman Kauffman reported that an ad will be run in the newspaper advertising help wanted for the Parks and Recreation Department. A Night Park Supervisor will be needed for the summer months. He also noted that sponsors are currently being lined up for baseball teams. A basic sponsorship is $75.00, and anyone interested can contact the Marion Town Hall for more information. Lastly, Supervisor bender remarked that she would like to meet with Mr. Kauffman in the near future regarding the possibility of installing new small playground equipment to be located at the back of the park.
Councilman Fonte reported having attended the recent Planning and Zoning Board meetings, and that the town can expect a new business by the fall of 2013. Ground will be broken for new Dollar General Store this spring, to be located at the corner of Routes #21 and #441.
Assessor to the Town, Ms. Tina McQuillen reported that exemptions are still cming in, with two weeks remaining until the final deadline. She also noted that she is still interviewing candidates for the part time Clerk to the Assessor position.
Highway Superintendent, Mr. Tim Boerman, reported that the Highway Department has been keeping busy plowing and cleaning up after the windstorms, cleaning and maintaining trucks, and maintaining road signs. He also noted that there will be a drainage meeting on February 22nd, to go over upcoming projects.
Under correspondence it was reported that a letter was announcing that the USDA will hold an informational meeting on March 5th from 10:00 AM- 1:00 PM in the Wayne County Public Safety Buiding giving an overview of available programs. Other reported correspondence included Time warner Cable programming and price changes,and multiple letters regarding the proposed water extension projects.
Submitted reports received included the 2012 Annual Town Clerk and Tax Collection Reports; the Town Clerk’s January 2013 Report; Justices Bonafede and Bender’s January 2013 Reports; the Code Enforcement Officer’s January 2013 Report; the Financial Reports from December 2012; the Wayne County Sheriff’s December 2012 Report; and the Library Board Report for January 2013.
Approved resolutions were as follows:
• Received and Filed all Correspondence and Reports for February 11, 2013
• Authorization of 2012 Subsidiary Transfers and Amendments to the 2012 Budget
• Authorization to replace cables and sheave at the Marion Library elevator
• Authorization to change the number of Sewer Unit Charges for Z1 enterprises, Inc.
• Authorization to amend Resolution #121012
• Acceptance of a change in policy for Deduction of Health Insurance Premiums
• Authorization to hire Ms. Dena Vasquez as the Baseball Coordinator and Soccer Coordinator
• Authorization to hire Mr. Justin Devlin as the Recreation Director
• Authorization for Supervisor Bender and Town Clerk Ms. Deborah Smith to attend the annual NYS Town Clerk’s Association Conference from April 28th-May1st in Buffalo, NY at a cost not to exceed the budgeted amount.
• Authorization to purchase plow equipment, a budgeted expense, on State Bid
• Authorization to hire Mr. Steven Taber as the Park Inspector for 2013
• Authorization to advertise for a Night Park Supervisor for 2013
• Authorization for Mr. Tim Boerman, Highway Superintendent, to attend Advocacy Day in Albany on March 5th at a cost not to exceed the budgeted amount
• Authorization to advertise for a Concession Stand Coordinator
• Authorization of the Subordination Agreement
• Approval of Jeffrey Cragg’s future Out-Of-District User Sewer Hook-up applications in the Marion Sewer District
• Opposition to the specific processes outlined in the New York Safe Act
• Payment of Claims
No other business came before the board, and the public meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM. The next regular meeting of the board will be a Work Session, to be held on Monday, March 11th at 7:00 PM, in the Town of Marion Municipal Building.
By Becky Block