Lyons School Board – January 8, 2013
Mr. Mike Consadine, Science Department Chairman spoke to the Board of Education on the STANYS Conference that the science teachers attended on November 3 – 6 in Rochester. This was a very valuable experience for the science department. He explained to the Board the materials they brought back that can be used in their classroom and how they relate to the common core.
Mackenzy Congdon and Kristina James updated the Board of Education on all the projects that the Foundations of Community Class have been doing this semester and what they will be doing next semester.
Minutes were approved and bills paid
The Board of Education
- approved Ms. Christy Hout of Walworth, as a long-term English substitute replacing Mrs. Lindsay Engels during her childbearing/rearing leave effective on or about January 2, 2013 – May 31, 2013.
approved the following as substitute teachers, assistants, monitors or aides:
1. Ms. Julia Dzikowski of Lyons for grades 7-12. Security Clearance Documentation has been received. (Certified – Earth Science 7-12).
2. Ms. Mary Hughesof Newark for grades 7-12. Security Clearance Documentation has been received. (Not Certified).
- approved Ms. Donna Mesleyn of Lyons as a substitute food service helper effective January 9, 2013, security clearance documentation has been received.
- approved Ms. Deana Tuck of Lyons, as a substitute food service helper effective January 9, 2013, security clearance documentation has been received.
- approve Mr. Jack Howell of Lyons as a Substitute Bus Driver effective January 8, 2013, pending receipt of security clearance documentation.
The Board of Education cast one vote for Joyce Lyke to a seat on the Area 2 Board of Directors (NYSSBA Board Member).
The Board of Education
- approve the following resolution to participate in the Non-Monroe County Municipal School District Program:
BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board of Education of the Lyons Central School District hereby agrees to be a member of, and participate in, the Non-Monroe County Municipal School District Program and furnish health benefits for certain of their officers, employees/retirees and COBRA participants through such Program; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Board of Education of the Lyons Central School District, in accordance with Sections 92-a and 119-o of the General Municipal Law, hereby enters into a Municipal Cooperative Agreement to Provide Health Benefits through a cooperative effort known as the Non-Monroe County Municipal School District Program, and further authorizes Mrs. Denise Dzikowski, Superintendent to sign such agreement on behalf of the Lyons Central School District.
- approved the field trip for the Varsity Boys Basketball Team to travel to Cleveland, Ohio on February 9, 2013. The Team would leave Lyons at 6:00 a.m. to go to the Cavaliers (NBA Team) Stadium to play Wellsville at 3:45 p.m. Then watch a NBA game at 7:30 p.m. and head home immediately following the game. Field Trip Eligibility rules must be followed. (Steve Veeder).
A reminder to the Board of Education that they will be meeting with the Board of Education from Newark on Wednesday, January 16th. The meeting will be held at the Newark High School Library at 6:00 p.m.
Robin Cinelli and Mary Britt and other senior parents will be holding a Senior Lock-in on June 21st from approximately 10:00 p.m. – 5:00 a.m. at the Lyons Community Center for the Senior Class of 2013.
Denise Dzikowski talked to Brian Manktelow about the trash drop-off alternative locations. The school was supposed to be a temporary location and Mr. Manktelow wanted to let the school know they are looking at alternate sites. They also talked about the outstanding bill. A meeting is going to be set-up to talk about settling the outstanding bill in the near future.
Mark Clark sent a request to the Board of Education requesting that School Resource Officers be placed in both buildings in our district. Denise Dzikowski also talked to Brian Manktelow, Town Supervisor regarding hearing that Ontario County is helping their schools with their costs. Officer Frost is coming in to talk to administrators regarding the necessary revisions to our safety plan. Rebecca Gamba, Grant Writer is looking at possible grants. A discussion ensued. The board will be updated more about the School Resource Office as information becomes available.
Denise Dzikowski announced that Lyons, along with Newark, Clyde, Marion, Pal-Mac and Williamson has been awarded $1.6 million to offer Advanced Placement on-line courses starting in the fall of 2013.
Mike Pangallo, Assistant Superintendent for Business reviewed the Budget Calendar with the Board of Education and pointed out key dates.
Tthe Board of Education approve the sale of following surplus vehicle to the highest bidder using an on-line service, Auction International:
1. Bus #83
Mrs. Denise Dzikowski, Superintendent recommended that the Board of Education go into Executive Session to discuss upcoming negotiations and employment history of a particular person.
1. Matters which will imperil the public safety if disclosed;
2. Any matter which may disclose the identity of a law enforcement agent or informer;
3. Information relating to current or future investigation or prosecution of a criminal offense which would imperil effective law enforcement if disclosed;
4. Collective negotiations pursuant to article fourteen of the civil service law;
5. The medical, financial, credit or employment history of a particular person or corporation or matters leading to the appointment, employment, promotion, demotion, discipline, suspension, dismissal, or removal of a particular person or corporation;
6. The preparation, grading or administration of examinations; and
7. The proposed acquisition, sale or lease of real property or the proposed acquisition of securities, or sale or exchange of securities held by such public body, but only when publicity would substantially affect the value thereof.
The Board of Education went into Executive Session at 7:40 p.m.
and came out of Executive Session at 8:39 p.m.
There was a question regarding the number of girls going out for the modified girls basketball team. Denise Dzikowski will look into this for the Board.
Steve Veeder was called. There were questions about the number of chaperones and the eligibility policy. Mr. Veeder and Mr. Young will be representing the school as chaperones as well as a number of parents as additional chaperones on the Cleveland, Ohio trip. The board is of the understanding that they approved a field trip request, and as such, the field trip eligibility policy will be in effect. Any player that is ineligible will be unable to go on the field trip.
A bus driver submitted a letter to Mrs. Denise Dzikowski, Superintendent requesting that her children be allowed to remain in Lyons School District although she is purchasing a house outside the Lyons boundaries. A discussion ensued.
They approve the request made by Ms. Tracy Fraser, of Lyons, New York 14489 to allow her children to remain at Lyons Central School District for the remainder of the 2012-2013 school year.
The Board of Education would like the district to use the Labor Relations Service of Brent Cooley in the upcoming negotiations with the teachers unions.
The Board of Education would like the Spring Coaches recommendations better explained in their Board Update.
A question was made on the status of the JV Football team. A brief discussion ensued. Denise Dzikowski will look into this.