- State approves a lottery where there are no losers!
- Lyons man heads to State Prison for haunting victim
- Farm Tour features Agriculture in Transition
- Apples, Apples, Apples
- Tony Stewart will not face charges in deadly crash
- Technology helps nail Dante Taylor for Murder
- Wayne County to conduct Aerial Spraying for EEE
- FLCC marks Banned Books Week
- Residents enjoy Camping at “Camp DeMay”
- Police seek leads in Dollar General Robbery
Wayneport Historic Area marked with sign on Trail
- Updated: December 22, 2011
At one time known as West Macedon, Wayneport was the first port in Wayne County east of Rochester on the original Clinton’s Ditch.
The first Post Office in Macedon was located here. On the south side of the present Wayneport bridge over today’s Erie Canal, parts of the original Clinton’s Ditch and the Enlarged Erie Canal may be seen. A short distance to the north is a cemetery where 26 canal laborers were buried in 1846.
In the mid-19th century Wayneport became an important part of the New York Central and West Shore railroad systems when a coaling facility for steam engines was located here.
There were also facilities for sand and ash removal, water tanks, and an icing facility for refrigerated cars. Westbound trains which took on a full load of coal here could reach Chicago before needing to refuel.