- On the beaches of Normandy, from a French child’s eye
- Newark Walmart hit with $1,117 loss in stolen baby formula
- Missing person case ends in tragedy
- Macedon Village Ambulance problems to lead to demise?
- Body of missing Macedon man found
- Huron man reportedly milking the system
- Power outages, damage hit County hard during Tuesday’s storms
- Wife of double murder suspect jailed
- It took a community to raise the flagpole
- Local teacher selected Special Olympics Umpire
This Port Gibson Family Has Fire In Their Blood
- Updated: October 13, 2013
It was Kristen Garrison’s great grandfather who started the tradition. In fact, Franzle LeRoy was a founding charter member of the Port Gibson Fire Department back in 1947. Today, grandson Scott DeCook has served as the Port Gibson Fire Chief for the past 18 years. His wife, Pauline DeCook is a 19 year member. Their daughter, Kristen, of Lyons, is a five year member of the Port Gibson Fire Department, and a student at Finger Lakes Community College majoring in Business Administration. She is in line to receive a tuition scholarship from the Firemen’s Association of the State of New York (FASNY). FASNY has established a college tuition reimbursement program for volunteer firefighters attending community college in New York.
One of Kristen’s grandfathers, Walt DeCook has 43 years under his belt with Port Gibson and on the other side, grandparents Don and Jean Blaisdell are longtime (56 year) members of the Manchester Fire Department. Kristen’s brothers, Steve and Kristopher Kemp are also members of the Port Gibson Fire family. Pictured above from left to right are: Walt DeCook, Scott DeCook, Pauline DeCook, Kristen, Jean and Don Blaisdell and Steven Kemp holding Steven Jr., the next generation of firefighters.
Tuition reimbursement is tied into a student’s GPA, and Dean’s List winner Kristen will receive 85% of her tuition back from FASNY. FASNY announced that the deadline for firefighters to apply for the Fall 2013 semester is October 18th. For more information on the FASNY HELP program, visit http://www.fasny.com/index.php/membership/benefits/fasny-help/.