- Train Traveler charged in Wallet Theft
- Rehearsals for Play Begin at Newark High School
- Mom charged with Endangering, driving without child restraint
- Sculptor Albert Paley visit FLCC for forum
- Fun vs. Privacy
- What if you make too much to get help?
- When one wife is just not enough
- Larcenies of ATVs solved
- Macedon Town Clerk turns in resignation
- 101 grams of cocaine and a gun he thought was real
Palmyra home nominated to National Register
- Updated: June 14, 2014
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced that 28 sites have been nominated to the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Locally, the Ambrose Lapham House in Palmyra – Constructed 1869-1870 was nominated. The Italianate style home was constructed for Lapham, a Palmyra native who made his fortune in banking in the Detroit area and selected Palmyra as a place to retire, remembering the rural, pastoral landscape of the Finger Lakes.
Built ca. 1869, the Ambrose Lapham House is a large two story brick house, located on West Jackson Street, just west of the Wayne County Agricultural fairgrounds in the southwest section of the village of Palmyra. The house faces north and consists of a main block, with a smaller two story attached block on the south (rear) of the building. Built in the Italianate style, it features a low hipped overhanging roof with decorative wood brackets and panels in the eaves. A wooden cupola is centered on the roof of the main block. Fenestration is regular with narrow, four over four double hung windows set into arched openings. Segmented stone lintels and narrow stone sills highlight the windows, except for the rear block section where the sills and lintels are of plain rectangular stone. The main entrance in the north elevation is surrounded by a single height porch and enters into a small vestibule. Both doors in the exterior and vestibule are double wood frames with large glass insets. A secondary entrance is on the east side of the house through an enclosed porch. Another entrance was added to the rear of the building in the early twentieth century and a fire escape added in the mid twentieth century when the rear block was converted into two apartments. The interior of the house contains numerous period features, which include original marble and granite fireplaces, wooden floors, a main staircase, doors, and moldings. To the south of the house is a late nineteenth century wood framed barn with its historic cupola, doors and horse stalls. Other contributing features include a rustic late nineteenth century gazebo in the northwest portion of the property and four surviving brick piers along the property on West Jackson Street.
After a number of owners, in 1964, the house was sold again and divided into four apartments. The current owners of the property, located at 352 West Jackson Street, Joan DeCann and Richard Coyne, acquired the property in 1985 as a residence and have been restoring the house as time and finances allow.