- Driver goes through stop sign and guardrail, ends up in Mill Pond
- Dairy farm fire in Walworth
- Cruelty Investigators seize 16 horses, other animals at Sodus property
- Fatal accident in Wolcott
- Crumbling historic Academy Building in Walworth demolished
- Palmyra Police Chief forced out
- Dr. accused of gun sign theft has case moved
- Town Justice suing the Town of Ontario
- Early morning Fire at Garden Center
- Car theft leads to high speed chase down Route 31
Good Neighbors honored by Ontario Chamber
- Updated: September 28, 2013
An Awards and Recognition Banquet sponsored by the Ontario Chamber of Commerce was held on Sept. 19, 2013 at The Brookwoods Golf Club in Ontario, NY. About 90 friends, neighbors, and businesses gathered.
Each year the Ontario Chamber of Commerce holds this event to honor the Citizen of the Year; Volunteer of the Year; Community Organization(s); the Most Improved Business; and to recognize the 12 Businesses of the Month.
Ms. Roberta Updaw was awarded the 2013 Citizen of the Year and Mr. William “Bill” Slocum was Volunteer of the Year. They were presented with a Resolution from the Chamber and one from the New York State Senate and Assembly recognizing their contributions. Each was given a flag that was flown over the Capitol.
The First Responders were the Community Organizations for 2013. The following organizations were presented a cash donation and a Resolution from the Chamber as well as a Resolution from the New York State Senate and Assembly honoring their members and volunteers for their bravery: Ontario Volunteer Emergency Squad
(OVES); Ontario Volunteer Fire Dept; Union Hill Volunteer Fire Dept; Union Hill Ambulance; Northeast Quadrant Advance Life Support (NEQALS); Advance Life Support; and Mercy Flight Central.
The Business Improvement Award was given to Optimax Systems, Inc. for their expansions in Ontario and their achievements in the optics industry. Optimax Systems, Inc. is located at 6367 Dean Parkway and now occupies a 60,000 sq. ft. facility and employs 200 people.
Ontario Chamber Officers & Board of Directors include: Donna Burolla, President; Roger Legg, Board of Director; Sherry Verstraete, Vice President; Tom Mizelle, Board of Director; Cheryl Legg, Secretary; Nadia Niniowsky, Board of Director; Jim Switzer, Treasurer; Ray Cedruly, Community Liaison