- Is cursive writing cursed?
- Wolcott sex offender charged with endangering
- Rethinking Apple Retailing with “TreeCrisp2Go”
- Dante Taylor sentencing goes off without a hitch
- Woman grabs purse from elderly couple
- Two Macedon Trustees call for Village dissolution
- World Series of “Beep Baseball” comes to Rochester
- WayneNet nails mushroom seller
- Completion of Erie Canalway Trail in Arcadia
- Gananda proposes Capital Project
Gananda Senior selected for Senior High All State Band
- Updated: October 20, 2011
Sarah Kois, senior at Gananda’s Ruben A. Cirillo High School, has been selected to the prestigious 2011 New York State Area Senior High All-State Band.
She is ranked third among all flute players in this region. In addition, Kois was chosen as an alternate for the NYS Conference All-State Band, which ranks her among the top 20 flute players in the entire state of New York.
Kois is the first student to be selected from Gananda’s high school, for the Sr. High Area All-State band, since 2007 and the first student from Gananda to be selected as either an alternate or as a member of the Conference All-State Band.
In order to qualify for this honor, Kois performed at the New York State School Music Association solo festival this past spring.
At the solo festival, students were required to play a piece of solo literature, memorize 15 scales, and be able to sight-read music proficiently. Sarah scored a perfect score of 100 at the solo music festival.
“Sarah is the first student from Gananda to receive a perfect 100 on the most difficult level of music (All-State grade 6) in the 10 years that I have taught at Gananda and quite possibly she is the first to do so in the history of our district,” states Aaron Strausser, band director. “It is extremely difficult for students to perform at that level on all required elements and it takes commitment, hard work and dedication from the student.”
The NYSSMA Zone 2 Area All-State Band festival will be held November 18-19 at Victor Senior High School.