- Hook, Line & Sinker
- When Community Comes Together
- Why are they still drinking and driving?
- Thefts in Macedon lead to police chase
- Finger Lakes Region Ripe for Cider Production
- Wilbert’s Location In Williamson Catches Fire
- All “Signs” point to theft
- Initial plan for possible take-back of school district sales tax dollars laid out
- Cracker Box Palace feeling the strain of caring for animals from abuse cases
- Macedon Board hears public comment on new Fire Association
Friend, family man, funeral director Mike Murphy remembered
- Updated: February 11, 2012
When initial reports came in Friday morning, the news was not good, Macedon resident Michael Murphy, age 41, had been ill for several days. On Friday morning while at home, Mike collapsed and was found by his wife, Kristine.
The father of two, active in scouts, Rotary and local Chambers, was rushed by ambulance to Newark-Wayne Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Mike always had a smile on his face and was first to crack a joke, even at the expense of his profession as a funeral director. Mike had taken over the family business, first established in 1946 by Adelbert V. Murphy and Marian Murphy in Ontario, NY. Their son Stephen G. Murphy became a funeral director and joined them in business in 1964. Steve and his wife Margaret purchased McGuire/Hargrave & Murphy Funeral Home in Palmyra, NY. Son Michael (Mike) came to work with them as a funeral director and manager of McGuire/Hargrave & Murphy Funeral Home. Payne & Murphy Funeral Home in Macedon, was purchased by the Murphy family and a new building was built in 1996 at 1040 Rt. 31 in the Town of Macedon.
When his father Steve and step mother Mary Lou retired to Florida, Mike took the full reins, balancing family life with the demands of the three funeral homes.
Mike is survived by his wife, Kristine, two young sons, Collin and Shaun, his parents, Stephen and Margaret and step mother Mary Lou, brother, Daniel and his wife Amanda.
Stephen Murphy reportedly was flying home and expected to arrive late Friday (2/10) night. An autopsy is being performed to determine the cause of death.
Calling hours will be held on Monday, February 13th from 3pm-7pm at the Murphy Funeral Home, 1961 Ridge Rd in Ontario, and on Tuesday, from 3pm-7pm at Payne & Murphy Funeral Home, 1040 Route 31 in Macedon. Services will be at 11am on Wednesday at St Mary of the Lake in Ontario.