Here’s one for my 99%….
It’s another Thursday night and as I sit in front of my computer trying to decide what sports story I should tackle this week, my thoughts are instead consumed by anything but sports. I’ve started this column about 5 times, only to erase each idea I’ve written.
I started to write about the Heat/Mavericks matchup in the NBA Finals, then the Bruins/Canucks Stanley Cup Final. I deleted both deciding I’m not going pretend that I’m an expert when it comes to either the NHL or the NBA or that I even care that much to write a whole column about either. Maybe I’ll follow both sports a little more closely next year?
I could write about Shaq’s retirement or the Ohio State fiasco, but I’ve decided both topics will be old news by the time my thousands (ok…. couple) of loyal followers, actually get to read this.
My brother has suggested that I start writing shorter blurbs about a variety of sports topics, however, I still haven’t mastered the art of condensing my thoughts. Hopefully, that will come with time and experience. I tend to be pretty opinionated about things and once I start writing, I find it tough to stop. You may have noticed my column taking up the better part of a full page. It’s amazing that a little over a page in a word document translates to over a page in the paper. Man, I wish writing term papers in College was that easy!
Instead, I’m thinking about how I haven’t had a bite to eat today and that the lack of sleep I got last night and this year is starting to take its toll. I dream about just relaxing on the couch to catch up on a month’s worth of TV shows on my DVR.
I’ve had a lot of people stop me and say they love that I’m covering sports for the Times now….although 99% of them admit that they don’t read my column. I would like to apologize to the other 1%. So, Grandma and Grandpa if you’re reading this, I’m sorry I didn’t write about sports this week. I promise to resume my normal sports talk next week.
In all seriousness, I really do appreciate the e-mails and comments I receive throughout the week. It’s nice to know people enjoy the expanded sports coverage.
Okay, it’s time to wrap this up…even when I have nothing to write about I still can’t shut up!